11 June 2011

Long Overdue Post-Trail Update

Since I finished the MST last November I've stayed pretty busy. I started working in December as a screen printer. Printing t-shirts was never a job I expected to have, but I've enjoyed the challenge of learning a new set of skills.

I've hiked quite a bit this spring. I hiked all the sections of the MST between Greensboro and Raleigh again. I was helping the Friends of the MST by gathering GPS tracks for the Eno River and Falls Lake Trail sections. I enjoyed getting out for several extended day hikes and an overnighter at Falls Lake.
I also am serving on a committee with the Friends to change the current road walk in the Piedmont to incorporate more footpaths.

I went to Trail Days in Damascus, VA in May and caught up with many of my fellow 2009 AT thru-hikers!

I hiked the Art Loeb Trail in Pisgah National Forest with my trail buddy, Sideshow, over Memorial Day weekend, and I realized I was not as in shape as I thought I was. The change in altitude from my home in the Piedmont was a shock to my lungs and legs.

I'm in the early stages of planning for a Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike from Mexico to Canada in 2012. Several of my trail friends from the AT are planning on the PCT next year as well! So I'm excited, but it's 10 1/2 months away.

There's lots to do this summer, and I plan to get out to the mountains as often as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment