15 November 2010

I Just Walked Across North Carolina

I made it to Jockey's Ridge State Park and climbed to the summit of the highest sand dune on the east coast of the U.S. Wow! What a great feeling to have completed something that fewer than 20 people have done before! It was a different moment from when I reached the summit of Baxter Peak on Katahdin at the end of the A.T. I felt a greater connection to this trail, this state, the wildlife, the woods, the ocean, the people. I fell in love with North Carolina in a way I never felt about my home state of Texas. I've always been proud to be a Texan, born and raised there until I was 9 and then I returned for 3 years in high school and college. But now, I cannot help but call North Carolina my home. I have a deep emotional and spiritual connection to this land, and to have trekked across it is a spectacular way to experience what The Old North State has to offer!

Check out my photos from the entire journey at this link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/iwfraher/MountainsToSea2010#

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ian! You have indeed accomplished a rare challenge. I am section hiking the MST with a partner, started in Oct 2009 and hope to finish before Oct 2011. I wish I had found your blog before now! I have been keeping a hiking blog since 2008 when I hiked all the trails in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in one year. Maybe that's a new challenge for you to consider... check it out at www.smokyscout.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian:
    Congratulations!! I am Sharon's hiking partner and we're doing the MST in section. All my hiking projects have been done in pieces including the A.T.
    I'm at www.hikertohiker.com/thishikinglife

    Danny

    ReplyDelete